Child Support

What Happens if My Ex Stops Paying Child Support?

Child-related legal matters are treated seriously by family courts. If your former spouse stopped making child support payments, this can create a major financial strain in your life, and your children may not receive the care they need. To ensure these payments are enforced, you must take legal action to obtain the funds you are owed.

Enforcing a Child Support Order

Family courts do not excuse overdue child support payments, so no matter how far behind your former spouse is, you can expect the court to do what is necessary to enforce it.

Below are some penalties the court may impose on your former spouse for failure to fulfill child support payments:

  • Garnish wages
  • Withhold federal tax funds
  • Seize property
  • Suspend a business license or occupational license
  • Revoke your former spouse’s driver’s license

Even if your former spouse moves out of state, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UISFSA), has procedures in place for parents who wish to enforce a child support order under these circumstances. The UIFSA can penalize parents who refuse to pay child support. Additionally, under the Child Support Recovery Act of 1992, it is a federal crime to refuse to pay child support to a parent living in another state.

If you are the paying parent and can no longer fulfill this obligation, it is crucial that you bring this matter to court as soon as possible. If a judge believes that your change in circumstances warrants a modification, your payments will be reduced to accommodate your new situation. However, past payments are not retroactively reduced, so you must act quickly.

Whether your former spouse stopped making payments or you cannot afford to comply with the court order, you should hire an experienced family law attorney to handle your case.

Set Up an Initial Case Review with a Skilled Family Law Attorney to Discuss Your Case!

If you are experiencing issues with your child support order, this is likely a stressful situation for you and your children. At Crossman & McNamee, LLC, our family law team is backed by decades of experience and a history of successful results. With us, you can rest assured you will receive the assistance of a fierce legal advocate and personalized legal solutions that address your specific needs and goals.

Reach out to our law office today at (937) 468-3796 to set up an initial case review with one of our knowledgeable family law attorneys to learn more about what we can do to assist you.