What Should I Do if My Ex Won’t Pay Alimony?

Alimony is an important part of maintaining a certain standard of living in the aftermath of a divorce. If your former spouse is refusing to comply with this order, it can make life difficult for you and become the source of a lot of stress and frustration. However, there are some steps you can take to enforce the order and ensure you receive the money you are entitled to.

Enforcing an Alimony Order

Regardless if your former spouse thinks the alimony order is fair, it must still be obeyed. A family law attorney can help guide you through the process of enforcing the order.

Here are some of the collection methods available to you:

  • Contempt of court: You can ask the court to find your former spouse in contempt of court for failing to comply with the order. If your ex-spouse is found in contempt, a judge will order that missed alimony payments be paid either on the same day or within a specific timeframe. Otherwise, your ex may end up spending some time in jail.
  • Wage garnishment or income withholding: To ensure you receive your alimony payments, a judge may have the money automatically withheld from your ex’s paycheck.
  • Other methods: There may be other ways in which a judge may ensure the court order is followed and you are able to collect unpaid alimony. For example, a judge may intercept your ex’s tax return or other profits. A professional license or a driver’s license may also be suspended if your former spouse continues to ignore the court order.

If your ex-spouse is not paying alimony, you should not hesitate to consult with a knowledgeable family law attorney and take legal action.

Schedule a Case Review with a Skilled Family Law Attorney to Enforce Your Alimony Order!

At Crossman & McNamee, LLC, our family law team will fight on your behalf to ensure you receive the alimony payments you are entitled to. We understand how difficult life can be after a divorce and how essential it is that you receive these funds, which is why we are committed to providing exceptional representation and advice to ensure you receive the best possible results.

Reach out to our law office today at (937) 468-3796 to set up a case evaluation with a member of our team to learn more about what we can do to help you!